Continuing Education License Renewal Importance for Classes
It is important to keep up with continuing education license renewal in the dental field for many reasons. One of the most notable reasons is that The Dental Board of California conducts random continuing education (CE license) audits of its dental licensees. To avoid the issuance of a citation and fine, dental professionals must complete the required number of continuing education units biennially for your license/permit type, which is outlined in Title 16, California Code of Regulations, Sections 1016 and 1017.
Continuing Education Unit Requirements
To complete the CE license renewal , the following conditions must be met:
- The provider offering the courses must be one of the following:
- Continuing Education (CE) Registered Provider licensed by the Board.
- Provider approved by the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (CERP).
- Provider approved by the Academy of General Dentistry’s Program Approval for Continuing Education (PACE).
- Completion of the mandatory courses: Basic Life Support (BLS) course, California Infection Control, California Dental Practice Act.
Make sure that your CE license provider is approved to teach the mandatory courses, by referring to the Mandatory Course Provider Lookup. The CE license renewal classes need to include at least four academic years of instruction or its equivalent. The educational program is designed to ensure that graduates are at a minimum competent in: behavioral sciences, practice management, ethics and professionalism, information management and critical thinking, to name a few.
Number of CE Renewal Class Units Required for Each Dental profession:
- Dentist: 50 units
- Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Permit: 50 units
- General Anesthesia Permit: 24 units
- Conscious Sedation Permit: 15 units
- Oral Conscious Sedation Permit: 7 units
- Registered Dental Assistant: 25 units
- RDA in Extended Functions: 25 units
- Dental Sedation Assistant Permit: 25 units
- Orthodontic Assistant Permit: 25 units
- Special Permit: 25 units
Keeping your credentials updated is very important in the healthcare space. Make sure you renew your California continuing education license on time with Howard Academy classes. Howard Healthcare Academy now offers online enrollment for stand-alone classes.
Text or Call (619) ACADEMY (619) 222-3369 Monday to Friday from 7am–7pm. If we are busy helping other students, please leave a message. You may also complete our Inquiry Form and one of our Howard Healthcare Academy Admissions Representatives will contact you within one business day to answer your questions.
For more information about CE license renewal Dental Board Requirements in California, call (916)-263-2300 or email DentalBoard@dca.ca.gov.